This survey shared by socialmediatoday is another in a long string of data pointing to the fact that among consumers interacting with brands it’s more about social currency then social media. The study points out the disconnect between brands and consumers. Here are a few of highlights.
- 65% of consumers connect with a brand for the games, contests and promotions
- 79% to take advantage of special offers and discounts
- People are connecting with brands via social media because they expect something in return
- Consumers see this as social currency
- When CMO’s or asked this same question they believed that these consumers were looking for content and only 27% of the same CMO’s believed that consumers were seeking special savings, experiences or rewards.
That’s a big disconnect. So the challenge for marketers is to engage consumers as the first step in starting a conversation. Pony up your social currency at the front door. This is especially true with new product introductions or brand extensions which 55% of consumers want to hear about.
From the looks of things not many CMOs and marketers are putting enough weight to the idea of social currency…
And one more chart just in case the message is not loud and clear. Read more about the study here http://goo.gl/rc3ev